Labels

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

#SmartphoneFree: Turning Off My Phone


"Every day I wake and everything is broken 
Turnin' off my phone just to get out of bed 
Get home every evening and history's repeating 
Turning off my phone 'cause it's hurting my chest 

All I hear is voices 
Everybody's talking 
Nothing real is happening, 'cause nothing is new 
Now when all is tragic 
And I just feel sedated 
Why do I feel numb? 
Is that all I can do? 

I can't sit and hope, I 
Can't just sit and pray, that 
I can find a love, when 
All I see is pain 
I try to do the things, I 
Say that I believe (I do believe) 
I can't just preach, baby, preach"

Jon Legend (legend) is definitely talking about how current events make us think and feel, but he identifies smartphones as being a conduit for how we recieve the news. And it is true that waking up and reading the news and reading it before we go to sleep is probably a pretty rubbish way to begin and end the day. But maybe he hasn't really got a downer on smartphones.

However, the song did inspire me to actually do something about what I was beginning to think and feel and believe about my own smartphone usage. I had to try to do the thing... and the thing was rid myself of the device which kept on sucking time out of my life and my attention from the people who I share life with.

And now I've done the thing... I can legitimately preach.

No comments:

Post a Comment